Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 16:20:23 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: fog light fuse/high wattage overload
Comments: To: fporte@eyring.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 01:58 PM 5/12/98 -0600, you wrote: >Derek, >while upgrading my high beams to H3 100watt bulbs and upgrading the L

By personal experience and experience of others on the list who have installed high wattage bulbs you stand a good chance of eventually melting the connector used to connect your wiring harness to the bulb assembly and melting your ignition switch unless you take measures to prevent both of these things happening.

>and R highbeam fuses to 15 amp to carry the add'l load, i noticed that >slot 6, the fog light fuse slot is occupied with a 15 watt bulb. I

never head of this. You must mean a 15 watt fuse.

>don't have factory fog lights and would like to know if you know why >there is a fuse in that slot--does that circuit supply power to other >accesories? If you know off the top of your head, thanks, otherwise, >i'll be diging in my manual tonight.

Right. Manual digg time.

>BTW the 100watt bulb upgrade for the high beams is really nice (cheap >too). According to other peoples long term experience with the upgrade, >it is not necessary to upgrade the wiring.

Right. The wiring can sort of take it. Your ignition switch and your connector cannot, sorry to say. One day your ignition key will simply fail to start the vehicle. Nevertheless, you may get away with a few months or even a year before these items fail, so take your time coming up with an ignition switch bypass (with a relay) and rigging up a better connector.

You can confirm what I have said here by looking in the archives, but now you don't have to look there as I have just given you the poop. My high wattage bulbs are in the garage, awaiting me adding a relay and a better connector.