Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 19:43:10 +0200
From:         "J.W.Brier" <Jan@HRPS.DEMON.NL>
Subject:      Re: Mounting VW Alloys on '91 Westy
Comments: To: Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@eskimo.com>
Comments: cc: Vanagon list <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

> I realize that the alloy wheel nuts have a different shoulder angle, but >it still appears that the stud must be changed to fully engage even a >steeper shouldered lug nut.

I did the same conversion on my '81. No problem but you need the original nuts and bolts for the alloy wheels. If you do not have them prepare yourself for a shock. They are about $10 each.

The nuts on the rear wheels seem like they do not catch enough of the thread. With the original nuts I don't think you need to change the lugs. Theoretically they could be about .5 of an inch longer. After that they would be too long (the nuts have caps) We (VW dealer and myself) looked at the original micro fisches but could not find any reference to longer lugs. Still, this question was asked before and responses were mixed.

Jan Willem Briër (mr), High Rise Professional Services, The Netherlands. _______________________________________________________________________ E-mail: jan@hrps.demon.nl -- Tel. +31 (318) 548857 -- fax +31 (318) 548101 __________________________________________________________________________ Personal web : http://www.hrps.demon.nl VW-bus page : http://www.hrps.demon.nl/jwbus.htm VW-bookstore: http://www.hrps.demon.nl/vw-boeken.htm