Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 22:08:30 -0500
From:         Martin Peitz <peitz@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Syncro CV joint prices, unexpected surprise
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Topic: My researching the best price for a front outer CV joint for a Syncro.

After phoning around some I got varying prices for the front outer CV joint. All the known VW parts places are around $200 (+/-). Locally I was offered an italian CV joint for $129, but with at least 3 weeks delivery time. Other local quotes were $165 and $179. These latter ones would probably have been of good quality.

While being at the local FLAPS (Auto Zone, while buying oil) I also asked about the part and thought it was a long shot. Surprisingly no problem. Serveral options were offered:

rebuild joint, $29.95 (yeah, right. Hands off) completely rebuilt driveshaft, $200 (Heard terrible things. Hands off) NEW joint, GKN, $200 (OK thats competitive) NEW drive shaft, complete, GKN $256. What??

The latter one I did order as I didn't have to take it, if I didn't like it. This was Saturday. Today I picked it up: It turned out to be a complete NEW original "made in Germany" Lobro (remember GKN owns Lobro) driveshaft. The original 'Syncro only' one and perfect in every detail. It has the original boots on it (expensive, I bought them as a spare earlier). The joints have the VW sign on them, which are grinded of slightly (only VW may sell parts with a VW sign on them in Germany, brand name protection issue). Even the clamps are original "Oetiker". So what I got is one inner joint, one outer joint, one inside boot, one outside boot and a new shaft. Not bad at all for $256. I had to leave my core though, but they probably would have accepted one from a Yugo too. Core charge would have been $45.

I might have gotten it cheaper, but probably not as fast and easy, and I wanted to replace that inner joint anyway. Again: the inner joint was and is 251 501 331 as also used for the rear driveshaft (211 501 331 B can also be used, this was an irrelevant number change).

I got some interesting e-mail on the subject from folks and will check things out further ($189 for a new shaft being quoted). But first I'm of to Germany for 2 weeks, where THESE parts are not cheaper (VW/Lobro market protection racket).

Martin