Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 May 1998 12:56:14 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stop the Urban Folk Myth: The IGNITION LIGHT
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, tonya@TEAMM.COM

> Does a weight lifter just non-challantly walk up to > a 500 lb weight and pick it up without pausing to compose him/herself? > No, they stop and wait for the proper karma. Why should we deny our > beloved vanagons of this? I mean really, none of us can honestly be in > a rush to get somewhere if we own a vanagon? ;) You see, that > stink'blink'light is how my van communicates to me that it has prepared > and is now willing to start on its next journey. > > happy friday one and all :) > Tonya > 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs > Yeah, your dog probably rules the house, too. If you let these things think they can get away with this kind of crap, they'll just keep pushing it! Pretty soon, they'll want *you* to carry them about instead of the other way 'round. They are like kids and dogs -- you gotta be firm and demand *instant* response, and no crap. If you don't then they start gettin all weepy (I guess a Vanagon's eyes must be in their heads, because that's where they seem to like to weep) when you really *need* to use them.

So, like dogs, be gentle but firm. Reward them when they heel properly, and "correct" them when they lag. But mollycoddling them by allowing them to get into the mood to perform is putting yourself unto the long path of VW-dominance. Pretty soon you'll find the damned things parked all over your yard. You'll even start feeling sorry for those old worn-out ones and want to adopt them. Like they will ever really perform again! Eventually, these over-pampered things will rule your life, your property and your finances. You'll find yourself dragged to the shows, where all the stuffed shirts show off their pampered pets. Working dogs *should* be dirty, and they are not happy being kept in crates awaiting the next show.

Uh, oh. I seem to have gotten my lists crossed -- I run a list for a working dog breed called Komondorok, and I guess I get confused easily. But they do seem to be the same, and I am ruled by both, and both overflow (but I have more VWs than dogs currently). I'm such a wimp...

Malcolm (yeah, it *is* Friday, and two dogs and three VWs need baths...)