Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 09:25:30 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propex Usage Experience
Comments: To: Benjita <Benjita@AOL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I don't recommend relying solely on solar power to power your Propex--you are installing a nice hefty aux battery aren't you? If not what are you going to do at night when you're more likely to be hanging out in the van and wanting to use the heater?

To answer your question, I've found that if it's pretty cool outside, say 20 to 25F, the heater can easily run 50% of the time. Insulation is a huge factor here--if you can insulate most of the glass area, you will cut down dramatically on heater run time.

-Mark McCulley

At 09:45 AM 5/13/98 EDT, Benjita wrote: >Hi all, > >I have a Propex Carver P4 on its way to me. I am planning on adding a solar >panel to the roof to power the sucker. So, in order to estimate the size and >power of the panel I will need, I would like to hear about other members >experiences with the Propex. Basically what I would like to know is, at a >given temperature the Propex' fan was on %50 of the time. Or at 20 degrees the >fan ran continuosly. Is there anyone out there with a solar panel that could >make a suggestion as to adequate size. For me the heater fan will be the >greatest draw. Thank you for any and all replies. > >Cory >'86 Syncro Westfalia >