Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 12:29:09 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propex Usage Experience
Comments: To: Benjita <Benjita@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have a solar panel and a propex....unfortunately, I do not know much about the specs of the panel as far as power out-put. It is about 2'x3'...silicon chips imbedded in blue fiberglass. Under full sun-light, it puts out about 2 to 2.5 amps max. Under ideal winter conditions (no clouds), this is enough to re-charge the battery for a full nights use of lights/propex at moderate temperatures....for me, that is. There are so many variables here, it is hard to generalize.

The propex is a power hog relative to anything else you are likely to run. I have an optimus aux battery. I also have a plat-cat portable catalytic heater I use in extreme weather. The cat only draws .5 amp hour. When it's below say 32 f., I use the plat cat as the main heater (running pretty constantly) with the propex cycling on and off as a booster. With this set up, I have camped at -6 degrees f. Starting with a fully charged aux battery, I had no problem keeping the van 65 degrees f. inside...and using lights, radio, etc. and still having plenty of power in the morning. With the heavy usage at these temps, though, after a few days, the solar charger cannot keep up. If i had relied on just the propex without the cat at these temps., I doubt I could rely on MY solar panel for even 1 day....probably have to start it up for a bit to charge the battery enough to continue to make it through the nights with heavy power draw.

So, get as much solar power as you can afford and/or carry. I do not know what's out there. My panel may be old and not as efficient as the new ones. Let me know what you learn.

As Mark mentioned, Insulation is critical. I use the alumnium covered bubble wrap as window and roof insulation. It's great stuff....just cut slightly larger than the window, and you stuff the excess in along the window frames....it stays there by itself...makes the van look like a lunar lander from the outside....plus....darkness!...your van will be dark as a closet at high noon in the desert. You can get the stuff at Orchard supply warehouse and similar places. I posted a detailed description on this back in dec or Jan. It's $98 for a roll large enough to do all windows and the pop-top....insulate all the canvas walls. At really cold temps, though, you will likely want to top down....and lower the upper bed before closing the top...adds insulation....you will still have about a 3 foot section of exposed fiberglass....cut a piece of insulation for this...it makes a difference.

p-mail for more info. steve