Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 20:04:35 -0700
From:         Off White <off_white@OLYWA.NET>
Subject:      Oil Filter Nipple Snafu!
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well, I started on oil filter change #1 on a Vanagon for me. Drain plug was no problem, feeling pretty smug about my old obsession with six point sockets and all that, threaded back up nice too. Then, the filter was a nasty bear. Neither of my filter wrenches worked (compression one too big, end drive one just slid round and round) so I tried the big screwdriver driven in trick I read about here. Driven in the end, it just twisted out and made a nice large round hole, driving it in the very end and all the way through the filter gave enough purchase to turn it off, but it was stubborn almost all the way out. Then, it became apparent that the nipple was stuck in the filter. Naturally, even with a rag on the nipple, the small pipe wrench mangled the threads a bit. Instinct tells me it would be a mistake to thread that thing into my nice engine block, how hard is it to find another? Absolutely gotta make the van run tomorrow. And how does one keep it from coming out again? Is it as simple as not letting some yahoo oil change outfit use an impact wrench to put the filter on? Suggestions appreciated...

Off White Tenino, WA