Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 22:39:43 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Business Product Costs(was Re: Curtain Kits)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 06:12 PM 5/13/98 -0400, thetrans wrote: >Dude: > >As a "happily" married man for oh so many years, I offer the following advice: > >Maybe you should ask your girlfriend how she feels about making custom >curtains before offering the product to the (albeit small) world. Between >materials, her time, and shipping you'll be surprised how the costs rack >up. But maybe she's cool with all that and something good can indeed be done. > >I just cringe at the thought of you telling her that she's got 20 orders >(80 hours of labor right there by your numbers) over dinner some night. *************************************************** I totally agree and speaking from experience in manufacturing products for over two decades therein lies only part of the rub, labor costs.

Sure, the raw curtain materials are decently priced at your local fabric supplier, even real cheap if bought in bulk. Sit down with a RV or Van Conversion catalog sometime and price out curtains - you'll find that to cover warranties, liabilities, labor costs, payroll costs, taxes, health & dental benefits, administrative costs, purchasing costs, inbound freight costs, advertising costs and Lord knows whatever else is involved in mass production, you'll find that they are priced within the ballpark of what Z Products offers. And most aren't even made here in North America.

In my research I'm finding that many of the curtain sets other outfits make for the RV and Van Conversion Market are made outside the USA where a lot of these factors are a heckuva lot cheaper than it being done here. Z Products makes their curtain kits completely in their facility in Oregon, not some sweatshop in Malaysia or Central America and I just happen to know they don't make a whole lotta money on them as it is.

Basically, what we're comparing here is apples and oranges when it comes to manufacturing and/or distributing a product, be it for a small group or a sizable market, by a big outfit (like WCM or even Z Products) or a small outfit (like Kyle, Ron or myself). The lower the overhead, the less expensive in cost and selling price for the product. In otherwords, don't sell a company short for offering a quality product for a fair market price based on production or purchase costs.

In a similar vein, you'll find differences in prices of items between the Bus Depot and myself, based on cost at the time - could be I got a great deal or Ron got a great deal on the same merchandise and we normally do pass on the savings if at all possible. In some areas I do have higher overhead costs (even though I work by myself out of the house) in areas such as catalog printing, advertising, additional rent for off-site storage, charge card terminal fees (which aren't as bad as some would be led to believe) and I do spend a few $$ to go to a lot of shows to display, advertise and sell product, things that Ron at the current time does not have to shell out money for (yet). However, in both Ron's and my case, practically every cent in profit we make goes into keeping us fed, clothed, etc., and what's left over is spent on bringing newer products on-line if at all possible. But again, it's apples and oranges.

So the bottom line is if you wanna be cheap, quit complaining and do it yourself or get the wife/girlfriend/mother to sew 'em up. Then go down to the hardware store, buy up some narrow aluminum flat stock, pickup some screws, pickup some shock cord and make like Tim Taylor, The Tool Man, start cutting, drilling, shaping and screwing in the darn things.

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- NEW! - VDO Products Online Catalog! http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhvdo.html ------------------------------------------- Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html ------------------------------------------- Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net