Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 1998 00:47:46 -0500
From:         Ken Hooper <bighouse@TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      ANNOUNCE: TYPE2 LIST SPLIT please read
Comments: To: type2@type2.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com, VINTAGVW@SJSUVM1.SJSU.EDU

Listees,

Ah, but we're pushing 1100 subscribers and I'm getting jaded and mean and worn out, you knew it had to happen eventually. I believe I will retire from the pursuit of list administration, buy a clutch of goats, move to the Dominican Republic and live in a hut made of leaves and sticks. That sounds pretty good. 8)

Here is what is going to happen:

-- We are going to split the type2 list. Please don't freak out, we've split before and we will again and this is the way of it as the net grows. There will be one list for split-windshield people and another for single-windshield people.

-- This list, type2, will become the bay-window list. It will be administrated by Steve Dolan <dworkin@type2.com>.

-- The splitty list will be called vintagebus and will be administrated by Thom Fitzpatrick <thom@calweb.com>.

-- In the previous list split and in previous server changes, we have subscribed you from old list to the new one without any action on your part. Please note that we are NOT GOING TO DO THAT this time. You will be given subscribe instructions for both lists and you will then have to subscribe yourself to the list(s) you want. This is because we think we are carrying lots of people who aren't really reading the list and this will cut that dead weight out. We'd like to cut the server load if we can, it is serious bandwidth.

-- On Sunday night we will erase the roster; on Monday when you log in, get on the list(s) you want and just continue on. The automated subscription process takes two minutes maximum.

-- Both lists will be running out of type2.com, through the gracious generosity of Duelist <duelist@azaccess.com> and Arizona Access, without whom I don't think we could survive.

-- I understand that some folks will need to vent, Heaven knows they did last time. 8) You can pretty much say what you want, just please put "list split" somewhere in your subject line so people can delete if they want.

-- I said once that this is the best group of people I have ever worked with, on-line or otherwise, and despite the idiot-mail and a few juicy flames that is more true now than when I said it (because a thick skin enables you to discern the important). I remain honored to have worked with you. I've been on the net a *long* time and been in a lot of fora and there was never anything else like this that I saw.

--Ken 68 Westy, Admin --type2-- The Volkswagen Bus Mailing List