Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 1998 10:27:02 -0600
From:         Fred Porter <fporterNOSPAM@EYRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: synthetic/seals
Comments: To: Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Tim, why does synth get a bad rap for causing seals to leak? I think that is a hold over from when synth oil had just emerged on the market and all the bugs weren't worked out yet. Now, most high quality synth oil makers take care of that intheir 'recepie' for the oil. check redlines very informative web page: http://www.redlineoil.com/

does a squeaky clean trans help when it is below zero? With the Redline MTL in my tranaxle, shifting in cold temps, immediately after start up was much smoother/easier than with fresh dino oil. Sure, after things warmed up, after more than a half an hour of driving, they shifted the nearly same, but right now, i still think MTL shifts better.

also, if oil floats on water, how will touching the top of the oil surface via the fill plug check for water contamination? does the water get emmulsified because of all the churning and change the characteristics of the oil in a visible way?

later, fred

Tim Smith wrote: > > Hi All, > > synthetics are known to leak out of old seals, read that sometimes the seal > will 'come back' after a while. If not back to dino. As far as seals go > though, not just in input shaft seal would leaks, what about both drive > flange seals, shift linkage seal and maybe diff-lock on Syncros? Price out > all these seals, add the cost of synthetics, and you can do a lot of dino > oil changes every 2 years. If only one starts to leak out, likely others > aren't going to do real well either. > Synthetic buys you peace of mind if you want the oil to last years and > years. As far as reducing shifting effort.... wonder how much of that is > due simply to clean/full oil? A rinse with ATF and some brief gentle driving > before refilling with dino will clear out even more residue and help smooth > things out. I prefer to change the dino out every two years, that way I have > a good idea it's got lots of oil. But granted a leak like Tom had would run > me dry also. In the Syncro I do stick my finger in the fill plug hole more > often, every few months just to check, more worried about water in than oil > out. My seals seep, but after 11 years and lots of dirt topping up > infrequently is a small price. bye, Tim

-- remove NOSPAM to reply