Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 May 1998 18:04:32 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      WARNING: Canadians should **NOT** use UPS when ordering from the
              USA!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

SOAPBOX MODE ON:

Today I got some parts from Velocity Sport Tuning for my 1980 Rabbit Pickup. They (Velocity) insisted that I ship the parcel via UPS and not the postoffice. Well it took 2 WEEKS to get here and I had to pay $67 to get my parcel from the driver! To make matters worse it is UPSs policy **NOT** to give a receipt to the customer. Last year I had a driver pocket the money and UPS drag me to a collection agency because I refused to pay a second time...

- The goods I bought came to $242US this was paid on my Visa card. No problem here, fair price. - At the boarder the Canadian Government wanted $25.40 for GST on the $242US. There is no escaping taxes! - UPS charged me $39 for "brokerage fees" plus about $3 in GST on top of that.

Wait a freekin' minute here! $39 to pay $25.40 in tax!? Where I work we charge $50 an hour to fix computers. Fixing computers probably takes more smarts and education than paying $25.40 in GST. So assuming that it is equal or greater smarts and they do their job even BETTER than we fix computers (It did take TWO WEEKS for the parcel to get here) lets call a decent rate of oh.. say.. $80 per hour. This means that it would take 30 minutes to clear my parcel in order to be charged $39! Not likely!! I would say this is a 1 minute job tops seeing how they ship thousands of parcels accross the boarder every day. Canada post charges $5 for the same thing and **I** get to pay the actual tax at the postoffice. All for $5! This is a deal. Also, Canada Post, yes the good old mail system, is FASTER than UPS.

So at the end of my ranting and raving..

DO NOT USE UPS FOR FREIGHT BETWEEN USA AND CANADA. They are there to take their time and do a fine job of ripping you off.

SOAPBOX MODE OFF:

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING EMAIL --