Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 May 1998 18:07:50 -0800
From:         Garrick Chang <gchang1@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Leak from Coolant Reservoir

> Since it is a closed system the increasing pressure of > expanding coolant would blow a hose loose. So at 15 psi the pressure cap is > supposed to open and allow coolant to flow into the overflow tank. When the > engine begins to cool after shutdown, the coolant shrinks, reducing the > pressure and back-suctioning coolant from the overflow tank back into the > expansion tank.

Am I correct in thinking that the system pressure should be zero when completely cold? Reason I ask is that I've been fixing one leak after another-frnt heater valve, rear heater valve, heater core, bleeder valve, expansion tank and others. While removing my transmision the other day, I removed a hose for access and coolant came shooting out fully pressurized. This is after the van had been sitting for two days. Is my expansion tank cap bad, letting fluid in but not out? Or am I looking at an internal head gasket leak(hope not because I just had the heads redone 6K miles ago)? Any other ideas?

Garrick 84 Westy Davis, CA