Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 May 1998 09:55:20 -0400
From:         thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM>
Subject:      Stealth Camping (and how I came to own a Westy)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I meant to post this a few days ago when someone asked about camping in non-campground, legitimate camping places.

About two years ago, I left the corporate world and went with a start up software company as a principal. I negotiated a relocation package, and unlike big business which usually picks up the tab for everything from movers to hotels to closing costs on new houses, my deal was a lump sum assistance package.. use it any way you want but thats all there is.....

My wife stayed behind to sell our house with our kids (hehe I thought it would only take a few months.. turned out to be closer to a year), which left me alone as a temporary bachelor. Years before I owned a 1978 Westy with a bad attitude, especially on cold winter days when I would often sit at the wheel and marvel at the low sounds of the starter cranking without turning over.. I sold it and regreted it for years.

So as I'm driving cross country to my new job, I'm thinking about my old Westy, and I say to myself, why don't I get another one.. I mean why pay part of my relo stash to some cheesy Holiday Inn.. I can tough out living in the van for a few months! So as I drove, I schemed, and schemed some more. I figured I could join a health club, shower, shave and get respectable every morning, go to work, and at night, find a tasty hidden camp site somewhere, and start the routine again the next day.

Cool. I find what I think (the operative word here is THINK) is a good deal on a Westy Syncro ($6,000 for those who want to know...), buy it and put my plan into action. Here's what I learned:

I live in one of the most densly populated states in the country, New Jersey. I did most of my foraging for hidden sites in Central New Jersey which is blessed with a fair amount of wooded space. But even with woods, hidden spots are tough to find that don't draw attention (NJ also has some of the most aggresive police, and you can't be guaranteed a nice warning and a "move it along, buddy".. more likely than not you're looking at a search, a ticket and possibly a vehicle impounded and tow).

I did find a few really nice spots. My best finds were:

Near lakes with public fishing spots.. mostly all very scenic and with all night access, local cops didn't know if you were fishing or doing the horizontal mambo.. and really didn't care.

Railroad tracks... I'm a big train freak so this may not apply to all, but most tracks in this area where double track or more at one time, and the rails have been pulled up (either completely) on one of the older tracks, leaving a pathway for RR maintenance trucks. Railroads are private property, and unless someone calls in a report, local police rarely patrol RR tracks. Keep in mind that RR's do have their own police, but they are few in number, usually located close to urban/high crime areas, and rarely patrol in the far off places unless asked to by residents or train crews. And with RR police, you will in most cases just be asked to move along anyway, provided you use extreme common sense when around tracks: Don't park anywhere near active tracks (tuck yourself way off in the bushes on the side of the right of way), keep your headlights off when trains are near, don't put stuff on or near the tracks etc, and don't sleepwalk when the southbound to Middletown is coming! This worked great, though if you are near an active mainline, you may get shaken out of your sleep by three or more 6000hp engines bearing down on your campsite at 3am!! Happened to me quite often as thats the time the trains come through to make piggyback trailers available for morning delivery.

Motels. This is virtually failsafe. Find one thats quiet, away from the highway, and a big chain (Ramada, Holiday Inn, etc.). Enter the motel parking lot, draw the curtains, be discrete, and off to sleep you go! Very safe, and they are so used to cars entering and leaving that no one will ever notice! If you're in one location for a while, break up your stays into 2 or 3 day periods between different motels. If you take up residence for 3 months straight they may get on to you! Only drawback with a motel is the (please exuse the crudeness..) nightly piss break. You can't just open up the slider and let er rip.... just a consideration. But they are so used to businessmen, contractors, shuttle drivers staying at the same hotel week in and week out, you could stay three nights every week at the same motel and I doubt anyone would ever notice.

Well my stay in my van lasted well over seven or eight months (thought it would be two!!). Got pretty damned cold in December (good sleeping bag and a comforter kept me warm.. till I had to get out and start the van.. brrrrrr). I never once got hassled by a cop, and only once did anyone even approach the van (I tried sleeping in the parking lot of the health club one night, figuring I'd save time in the morning in driving.. but curious workers came and knocked on the van... I said whatdya want [give me Brett Wier I said!] and they apologized and split.. that was the peak of my excitement with visitors!).

One other note... I had a hard time sleeping the first few nights when I was in the woods. I thought for sure crazy psychopathic nutcases were going to come out and kill me. Then I realized that I was indeed the only psychopath in the woods... there's no one else out there!!

Well I know this was a long one but I thought some folks might enjoy the story and some of my tips. I feel my long stay gave me a Westy free and clear vs. filling the pockets of a motel chain. Now I wonder how long I'd have to stay in the woods to cross subsidize keeping the syncro in parts and supplies!!

Bill

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Hunter/Garcia