Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 May 1998 16:59:13 -0400
From:         Valerie Chandler <martycha@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Hello Volks! Question about corroded firewall on Quantum Syncro..
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

While we were on our trip, the clutch on our '87 syncro Quantum fell to the floor of the car and wouldn't get up. We pulled into a mechanics parkinglot in Doylestown, Pa. The mechanic fixed the old clutch for $600 and the car was back on the road in a few days. The mechanic was rather crotchety and said that most VolksWagen people think their cars are worth more than they are. When I paid that six hundred, I didn't ask for his pretentious opinion. Anyway, I drove the syncro back to Cincinnati and picked up the Westy from the dealer's mechanic's bay, yesterday. So far the fixed airconditioning and the rebuilt gear shift (from The Parts Place) are working fine. Or at least the airconditioning is working as well as it ever did, which was never very good. After I talk over some stuff with the Parts Place, I'll let you know my business with them has been decent.

And one more thing about the syncro Quantum, the mechanic said the fire wall behind the engine is corroded and flexes everytime I push in the clutch. He said I can get some sheet metal welded in place. Anybody else have this problem and/or any advice for me? The mechanic told me to get rid of the car, and I told him he was a little pompous and arrogant.

Regards, Valerie Chandler