Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 May 1998 17:10:07 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 td swap into diesel Westy
Comments: To: Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Martin Jagersand wrote: > > Listees, > > As I told you in a separate post, I'm putting in a 1.9l TD engine > in my diesel Westy. The new engine has a whopping 60% more torque > than the old, and I could use a lower final drive ratio. The > most economic way to do that seems to be to buy a good used > tranny from an '80-'82 aircooled Vanagon. This gives me a > 20% lower final drive (4.5 instead of 5.5). > > -------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Martin, we just purchased one of these motors from Impex and are currently in the process of trying to make it fit. The clutch that came with it can not be used, it is for a front wheel drive tranny. We are planning to use the friction disk although it is somewhat smaller in diameter. We put a pilot bearing into the end of the crankshaft. The BAD news is that the kkk turbo does interfere with the left engine mount(the cast alloy piece bolted to the engine block).The mount hits the waste gate and the turbo oil return line. Also, the injection pump appears to stick up above the engine deck lid by a couple of inches. The oil pan and oil pump cover/pickup tube swapped over fine. The water pump on the 1.9 has a longer shaft/pulley flange. The belt doesn't line up. We removed the entire pump assembly, removed the impeller part from it, and installed a new impeller assembley(part no. 068 131 005c). The alternator bracket can be made to work by drilling it's mounting holes slightly larger. It mounts to the studs holding the water pump to the block where as the old engine used bolts through both pieces. An extra stud was needed and we obtained it from the VW dealer for $4.(p.n. 028 260 821). In order to retain the factory hose setup and sensor wiring, we removed the plastic hose nipple fittings and wiring connector from the new engine and used the original alloy ones.( thermostat housing, head coolant pipe w/sender, block coolant hose w/sender). Also it was neccessary to loosen the large nut inside the oil filter/cooler and rotate the housing slightly. We are now stuck trying to solve the left engine mount problem. We have heard that a Quantum manifold will allow the mount to work but are not convinced that this is the preferred answer. Modifying the mount would be possible but getting the correct part if available sounds best. Do you have any info or sources for a factory mount that fits this application? How about from Germany or a part number that can be ordered? Also we will be needing an exhaust down pipe with flange to fit the turbo exhaust port. We are trying to find out if one from some U.S. model VW can be utilized. Any help in this endeaver would be greatly appreciated. We will share any more info as it is discovered. Please feel free to contact us for any help we can provide. Sincerly, Mark and Craig Drillock