Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 May 1998 22:04:49 -0400
From:         thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM>
Subject:      Still frustrated with clutch problem (87 Westy Syncro)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

First, let me thank all who have offered advice to date. I appreciate your time and patience with my problems. I feel so frustrated, having a wonderful Westy, with 2 kids just rarin to go camping, and I can't drive this thing more than a few miles without the clutch problem kicking in...

Recap:

Clutch refuses to disengage when shifting. Seems to happen somewhat intermitantly, but almost guaranteed to happen at least once during any driving outing. Great example: Spent 8 hours today, changing all gear oil, engine oil, and other maintenance tasks. Checked master and slave cylinders by bleeding line oil (opened slave nipple with clutch pedal depressed.. repeated twice). Took the van out for a spin, shifted like butter. Drove 10 miles or so cycling from 1st through 3rd primarily. Came back on a big road, hit it into fourth.. still no problem.. came to a turn and went to downshift into third, and no clutch release.. had to coast to a stop, jiggle shift lever, pump clutch, etc..kicked back into gear. Went a few more miles, in third, downshift to 2nd for turn, happens again. Then clean sailing all the way back home 2nd & 3rd gear. I seem to be hitting a pattern.. everytime I pop into fourth and then downshift problem occurs... maybe a pattern..I'm so damned tired and confused....

Suspects:

Master/Slave - I did the line test. When the clutch was depressed, a healthy stream of fluid came out. Repeated twice, same result. Could air still be getting into the system somehow? Any other tests I should perform? No leaking fluid anywhere that I can see...

Shifter linkages - I didn't pull the spare out and check the front bushings, etc. I don't seem to be having a problem with the shifter selecting the wrong gear.. revcerse, granny, 1st, 2nd third etc. all seem to be in the right spot. Rear bushings, etc. don't seem to be a problem. I'd love to find out that this, and not my clutch/tranny is my problem but given my experiences so far, I don't believe this is the case... but maybe.

Transmission - the final frontier - Something is wrong with the gears, clutch, etc. I have no experience at all w/ VW transmissions, so I can't begin to speculate about likely causes. My worst fear is having to drop the transmission to fix clutch or tranny parts (both from a time and materials cost perspective), but I fear this may be inevitable. Any and all speculation and remedies sincerely appreciated.

On a postive note, the engine is running strong and the front syncro differential is in great shape. It would be a shame to toss in the towel on such a fine vehicle, but I fear I'm getting close to the edge of my mechanical abilities (not so much knowledge or desire.. I've worked on cars and motorcycles for years in my younger days.. I just don't have the garage space and many of the tools needed to do intense work like tranny removals & rebuilds).

Again, thanks to all who have waded through my saga before, and again this time. I sincerely appreciate the help I have gotten, and without this list I would have been sunk by now.

Syncronauts..your help is needed!!

Bill 87 Westy Syncro Princeton NJ area

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Hunter/Garcia