Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 02:19:06 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Do I REALLY have to check the endplay????
Comments: To: Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Tom Young wrote:

> Hey everyone: > > I removed the flywheel (but not the oil seal) on my 2.0l engine to check > the seal for leakage. It's not leaking. > > I removed the fan hub (but not the oil seal) to check for leakage there. > It's not leaking. > > My manual says the endplay has to be checked anytime the flywheel is > removed. > > My question is: Why? Since I'm going to torque the flywheel back on in a > proper fashion, and haven't disturbed anything, and we're dealing with > mechanical parts, not living tissue, why the insistence on checking the > endplay? > > As far as I know the endplay is OK (engine rebuilt 20k miles ago) and > since I'll have to use the "bar stock" method, I'd really like to avoid > doing this, if I can. > > Can anyone elaborate? > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young young@sherlock.SIMS.Berkeley.EDU > Lafayette, CA 94549 '81 Vanagon > ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tom First off, you shouldn't be put off about checking endplay as it isn't difficult with a little patience. If you don't have a dial indicator, a simple method is to measure it with feeler guages at both extremes of movement against the case. If you want to get fancy you can make a "reference" with a bolt, 3 nuts, and a small tab bolted to the motor mount. Secondly, you are probably correct in assuming that it is still ok without checking as the shims and the bearing face should return you to the same place. The question looms: is it worth messing up such an important tolerance when it is so easy to check and know for sure. Think of it this way,. racing engine builders check this measurement probably 4 times on a build. Besides, you probably don't want to do a complete case split rebuild just because the shims didn't go back in right. I"m not trying to preach, I just know how many times I've had to do things over because I thought I had already checked it once. Kind of like the cam gear fit in my '81 Westy that has a whine now. Should have checked twice.... Good Luck Mark Rokus