Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 May 1998 23:28:22 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hiccups
Comments: To: Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>,
          vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Sounds like the old "stumbling" problem....search the archives for 1998 with that word and you'll find all the cures explained in detail. They include a special $100 wire harness that attaches to the Air Flow Meter (or a $1 capacitor to do same thing if you can solder), replace the O2 sensor, clear the carbon track on the air flow meter, replace coolant temp. sensor by the thermostat. You may also want to check the fuel filter and the hall sender . With the exception of the wiring harnes, these are all wear items that eventually need to be replaced/maintained so there is some logic to going in and taking care of all of them.

If you use the list vendors (Jim or Ron or Kyle) and do all the work yourself, you could do all of the above for under $100 in 2 or 3 hours, more or less, depending on your speed and skill level. If you took it to a dealer, well, they would not clean the AFM carbon track, but would sell you a new one (assuming that is part of the problem with your van), and they would charge you full dealer price for all parts. Not only that, but they would probably start with replacing just the little wire harness first, which often does not permanently cure the problem. If the dealer ended up having to do all of the above, instead of $100, it would cost closer to $1000. (Hence the value of the list.) The other alternative is to buy the parts, find a good VW mechanic and tell him what you want done.