Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 11:08:24 -0400
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: DIESEL is.. Long....
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

KENWILFY wrote: > > Better get to like them. They are the engine of the future. I am NOT joking. > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > PS This subject has already been discussed at length on the List a few months > ago. Check the archives.

I wouldn't say diesels are the engine of the future, maybe of the present to the next 10 years or so. That Otmar guy building the stretch TD Westfalia is working on the engines of the future, and past (and thousands of others are doing it too!). Electric is here! Has been for awhile, the first automobile was electric. There still is an important place for the diesel, which is far superior to the gasoline engine.

I remember when I was a little kid, one of the few memories of my father was once at a gas station, during late seventies (I'm 26 currently, for reference). He must have come back from paying for the gas and he was noticeably mad. I asked him what was wrong and he said he was mad at the price of gas, which was like 65 cents a gallon if I remember correctly. I sat quietly for a few minutes and then asked him if he thought gas would ever cost one dollar a gallon. He smiled and chuckled a bit and said yes, someday it will.

I filled up the tank on the Vanagon yesterday and paid a whopping $1.029 per gallon. I was paying over a dollar a gallon when I first got my license back in 1987 (Y2K compliance). One indication that gas is so cheap is Detroit selling vehicles getting 14/18 city/highway. Go test drive one of those huge Lincoln Navigators. Excessiveness at the extreme!

Back to diesel. Diesel fuel is cheaper than gas. Gas goes through many refinement steps to get to the pump. When bought in bulk, like farmers do, diesel costs less than $20 cents a gallon. Any farmers out there with a correct, "current" figure?

Diesel engines are more efficient than gas. I believe diesels are up to %40 efficient compared to gas at %25 at best (someone correct those figures).

Diesels can be run on organic fuels with little or no modifications. Soy and peanut oils are two of the options. Someone drove a van on oil recycled from deep fryers across the country last year, check out http://www.vegivan.com

I just wonder what will happen to the price of gas when APEC finally realizes they are "sold out". I know they say they have reserves that'll last them well into the next century, but look around the next time you're stuck in traffic and wonder how long this can last. I'm aware that North America has more reserves than the Middle East ever had, but at what price. How would the market be if we were forced into using our own reserves? How well would those Navagators and other SUV's be selling if gas prices went to $2.00 or $4.00? Gas will reach those prices in my lifetime, I'll bet on that.

My 2 cents and hypocrisy, driving my gas converted ex-diesel Westfalia.... will be a diesel again someday....

_______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/wow