Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 14:21:59 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      drivetrain noise diagnosis...?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi All,

There have been a few posts lately regarding trans/CV/bearing noises, but they all start off with... "I have a noise...."

Can we try a different approach to this? Would people who have established ways of isolating different (vanagon/EV) noises please post their tricks! This way a vanagon.com noise checklist/diagnosis FAQ could be built.

my $0.02...

1) eliminate tire related probs, wear/out of balance 2) check CVs by slow tight circle listening for clicking, head out open window 3) jack/shake tires for wobbles due to bad wheel bearings, harder up front 4) gently swerve side to side while coasting to load/hear bad wheel bearings 5) determine if noise: speed related or gear related or RPM related or clutch related (engage/dis. when parked) (input shaft brgs) 6) check under acceleration/deceleration/neutral throttle (output flange or pinion brgs., worn R&P gears) 7) on syncros... main shaft out of balance, front diff... etc.

feel free to add to or correct this PLEASE! Would be great help when buying if the tricks can be used when road testing.

bye, Tim

send replies to me/list as desired. I'll compile and credit those who contributed, then resend package to list in a week or so.