Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 15:31:18 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Hot start problems, then stumbling-Help appreciated
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Tomorrow a.m. I am taking Vanagon (91 Westy GL automatic with 98k miles) into VW dealership to check out stumbling/hot-start problems. Have checked the archives for the stumbling problem (see below), but also seem to have a hot start problem. Are there any things to check that could cause both?

Symptoms: Two weeks ago had tuneup at my mechanicıs (to fix a cold start problem) with new plugs (NGK Super plugs), new oxygen sensor, new air filter, replaced idle controller valve with a used one‹mechanic cleaned the throttle plate housing and the fuel injector system, replaced a coolant line and fittings, and reset c/o and idle speed settings.

Last week hot starting problem began. Van started fine cold, ran well, but when I stopped for 5 minutes (not enough time for it to cool down all the way), and then tried to start, it would turn over but not start, whether or not I floored it. Will start when it cools down.

When hot starting problem began, the mechanic said it could be clogged fuel injectors and to put Techron in and a tankful of premium. Did that, and did it again when problem still there. Mechanic not able to see me before I left for trip.

This weekend drove 100 miles up to Maine for camping and had hot start problems three times. After I finally got on the Interstate, it lost power gradually‹went from 65-60-55-40, so I pulled over and turned it off. This time it started fine, ran fine for an hour, then started hesitating or stumbling. Friends in motorhome behind me said it would periodically send out black smoke as though it were blowing carbon.

As we got close to destination, it stumbled, then while idling at a stoplight it stalled. Finally got to campgrounds ok, though.

Going home on Sunday, it stumbled and stalled only ten minutes after starting. On the highway it lost power, but I found I could keep it going if I kept pumping the accelerator. Had to do that for an hour, then it finally cleared for a while, then stumbled again. It runs rough when it stumbles, and from the outside it sounds like it is skipping or missing.

My mechanic wants me to go to VW dealership to have them run diagnostics on fuel injection/electrical system. He feels if I could keep it going it is probably not a mechanical part failure, but something in the ECU /Fuel injection system.

From the archives it looks like I should ask VW to check: 1. ECU and its wiring/connections 2. wiring harness fix (I just got van last year, donıt know if PO had this done.) 3. the Hall sender 4. check the temperature sensor near the thermostat 5. cruise control (I did not try using it this trip. Last time I used cruise control last fall, I had the stumbling problem, but not the hot start problem. I could turn off the engine, restart, and all was fine.) 6. the arm in the airflow meter 7. clean the carbon track on the airflow meter. 8. replace the fuel filter 9. Check the fuel pump? 10. Check grounding?

Is there anything else you folks can suggest? This list has been invaluable to me in keeping Johann, (my Vanagon) going. These are not symptoms of head gasket problems, I hope.

This is the first time I have gone to a dealership. The one nearest me does not work on Vanagons, so I hope this works out ok. I have to have the Vanagon running for next weekend, when I am going to a friendıs wedding out in the Berkshires.

All words of wisdom welcome.

TIA, Maureen, the mechanically challenged one who thought VW beetles of yore had radiators and Vanagons of now had timing belts and whatnot. (In other words, a truly, really mechanically deprived person.)

Maureen Stretch Natick, Mass. 91 Vanagon GL Westy ³Johann²