Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 19:48:54 -0400
From:         PAT <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: New motor selections for vanagons.
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

-----Original Message----- From: Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, May 18, 1998 6:51 PM Subject: Re: New motor selections for vanagons.

>Volks, > >Pragmatism has to prevail here. Essentially, with a loooooow budget >like me, should my WB blow up tomorrow, I will be forced to look at >several swap options. With all the choices, I have to look at price, >power, efficiency, reliability, and FEASABILITY of the swap. >Therefore, I have to go with a known quantity. (That's why I'm >following Patrick Dooley's 2.3 swap closely).

Just to update, I moved my trans down about two inches and toward the front of the van an inch or so. This cleared up my problems with the cam gear/engine compartment clearance. I am absolutely intent on not cutting my van to do this swap. I have an early metal engine lid that will have to be cut to accomodate the intake manifold. The motor is in for a trail fitmet, and looks very nice. The exhaust outlet from the turbo elbows down, pointing at the ground. A couple 2.5 inch 90's and a 2.5 flowmaster, and the exhaust is done. The O2 sensor hookup is in the turbo outlet, very clean and simple, no welding or tapping for the O2. The EFI will be very simple too, the ford wiring harness is very modular.

Another step towards economy: don't bother locating a set of diesel mounting bars. The diesel bars interfere with the accessories on the 2.3 motor. I plan to use my original WB load bar. The WB is substantial, my main concern with using was how it attaches to the body. The load bar bolts a thin section of sheet metal on either end, and I was fearful that the load bar may simply tear off the van under 4-500 lbs of weight. Plus factor in engine torque and shock loads, and the thin sheet metal is under a fair amount of stress, not to mention the 4 8mm bolts that attach it. I have worked this problem out too, and will elaborate more when I get the time. Maybe just leave a periodically updated summary on my web page. My friend is buying a digital camera, and will allow me to use it. This will allow me to update my page with pics often.

PS-been pricing overhaul parts for the Ford motor - gasket kits, turbo rebuild parts, motor mounts, etc. The prices are "refreshing", to say the least.