Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 21:30:25 EDT
From:         KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Swap Update 3
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Well dropped the trans from my '85 Vanagon today to make room for the new motor and tranny installation. Then had to drill out a broken exhaust stud in the JH motor head. Used a tap to clean out the four 8mm holes in the back of the motor where the diesel mount attaches. Then checked to see for myself that my Scirocco exhaust manifold will not fit because it bumps up against the mount. My Dad is worried that the restrictive Diesel manifold could actually damage the engine. We are thinking of grinding some of the mount and the manifold flange in order to make this work. Any input on this subject would be appreciated. Should I try a different manifold (this one has the two spring clips instead of bolting up like the diesel one) or will we be able to grind some of the mount without weakening it too much? Ken Wilford John 3:16