Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 21:39:02 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>
Subject:      Left motor mount. (Diesel 1.9 TD Swap)
Comments: To: vw-diesel@velocity.bc.ca, vanagon@vanagon.com

Thanks to all those who sent me answers, comments, suggestions and more questions. I'll try to get to everyones emails in time. Here's a start:

The left motor mount problem.

The motor mounts on the inline 4 attach towards the rear (as mounted in a vanagon) of the block. Even with the standard naturally aspirated diesel, the manifold and exhaust pipe pass very close to the mount.

With the 1.6 VW TD engine as made for transverse cars the turbo and waste-gate interfeared with the motor mount (mostly the wastegate was in the way). Mark and Craig Drillock has verified that this problem infact occurs with the 1.9l TD also. (For I while I had some hope that the somewhat taller 1.9 block would put the turbo out of the way of the mount).

So for the 1.6l the solution to this problem was to use a TD engine or manifold from a longitudinal engine. (As in original Europeean TD transporters or VW Passat/Quantum).

These various exhaust configurations can be seen on:

http://www.cs.rochester.edu:80/u/jag/vw/engine/turbo/turbo.html

When the 1.9 came in the early 90's the last transporter had already left the line, and the Passat was changed to transverse engine configuration in the A3's. Thus the 1.9 engines we find today are only with the centrally located outlet style manifolds, not the offset we need.

So what to do, what to do? Here are some suggestions that I'd appreciate your input on:

1. One can buy an aftermarket motor mount from Germany. Helmut Zeidler in Germany sent some addresses to German parts places which I'm sure I can dig up given enough time. Price? I heard 300DM (Which is $200?) But then I'd have to add freight. Air is probably expensive for a heavy thing like this and customs fees etc.

Pict of an aftermarket mount:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/users/jag/vw/tdiswap/leftmotormount.jpg

2. One could try to build a new motor mount oneself (or using the friendly neighborhood welder). Should not be too hard if one takes out the std mount and makes a rigid jig to replicate the end points. Still quite a bit of work for just one mount.

3. Use the old style quantum manifold. So would there be a performance penalty in doing this? I know that the intake manifold is different (D-port on the 1.9, and has larger valves), but how about the exhaust?

4. Someone got the 1.6 Jetta TD in there by grinding down the motor mount. Maybe this (with some reinforcement on the other side) is doable. Mark or Craig, what's the magnitude of the interference?

/Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------