Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 22:29:30 +0000
From:         Marcus Elia <dela@KAWARTHA.COM>
Subject:      Trip report: Peterborough to Welland
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: marcus_elia@pcbe.edu.on.ca

May 16-18, 1998

On Saturday we loaded the Peg Perego on the bike rack, and with the kids strapped in, set out on a Victoria Day Weekend road trip. From one old canal town, Peterborough, to another, Welland (both in Southern Ontario). Although the trip is only about 300 km each way, I couldn't help feeling a tiny bit trepidatious because Dela hadn't been taken out for a long drive since a faulty ignition coil aborted a trip to Boston last fall. But vans belong on the road, right?

Off we went, me keeping my usual 100km/h speed cap, with no radio to interfere with my built-in trouble monitor (my ears). The radio stopped working last summer, and I decided I liked listening to the sound of the van better anyway. A couple things of note:

*A hum that develops at around 90 km/h and fades at 100 km/h. A bearing giving up the ghost perhaps?

*More wind noise than there was before I installed a new seal around the luggage rack. Perhaps I should remove the rack, add a length of weatherstripping, and re-install?

The round-trip went off without any problems. We got about 21 mpg, no perceptible oil or coolant loss, without any problems holding 100 km/h (okay, 90km/h up the Burlington Skyway). I spotted seven Westies during the trip, 5 of them with square lamps and tinted windows, the other two Digijets like mine, but in nicer shape than mine. Hey, mine's a winter car, okay?

Overall an excellent, relaxing weekend. I got to spend time with my family; my rowers (whom I coach) got a bronze medal at the regatta which was our destination; and the weather was near perfect. Next trip is up to Palmer Rapids (near Algonquin) the weekend of June 6-7. Any list members in the area?

Marcus Elia '84 Westfalia (Dela)