Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 1998 01:54:37 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: syncro whiner
Comments: To: Tim Smith <smitht@unb.ca>
Comments: cc: Vanagon newsgroup <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Tim Smith wrote:

> Hi, > > any oil in that trans? :) Whining unloaded has me guessing, is it speed > related? Gear related? Any difference if put in neutral and coast vs. leave > it in gear and put clutch in? Try a GENTLE side to side swerving when > coasting to see if it is wheel bearings. Sorry, crap shooting. post the > definative answer pls! bye, Tim > > '87 Syncro Westy > (so much tire noise I'm the one who whines!) > '85 CrewCab

The more I ponder this , the more I think it is probably the main (pinion) bearing. symptoms: -no change in noise with clutch in (clutch) -no change in neutral (engine) -no change moving side to side ( wheel bearings) -no shifting problems in any gear (3rd/4th syncro or cluster ) -new tires ( no mismatch) -only makes noise when off the power ( deflection of pinion, thrust on back of gear)

Much as I'd like for someone to come up with the magic (cheap/easy) fix, I believe the box will have to come out. Eric O mentioned that he replaced the main bearing without much trouble. I'd like to hear more of an evolved discussion on detailed symptoms and repair on these boxes. Seems that enough of us are having problems with these. -Short of finding the Holy Grail (spare transmission to rebuild), are most of the parts available? -Do you need to rebuild all of the syncro packs during the rebuild? -How difficult is it to get the ring and pinion preload set correctly again? Of course we could all flog the few people knowlageable on these with phone calls, but that seem counter productive to us and them. If we could open a more complete discussion I think we would all gain. Hey, here's our chance to increase the technical side of things. After all, isn't that why we're here? Food for thought Thanks Mark Rokus