Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 1998 08:28:09 -0500
From:         Patrick Larsen <pll@UNLINFO.UNL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Traveling Tips ...
Comments: To: Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 09:30 PM 5/18/98 -0500, Joel Walker wrote: >Emergency Repair Kits - Things you should never leave home without >by Garrett lai >Sport Compact Car, July 1998 issue. p. 130 >Your Roadside Emergency Kit Checklist ><comments by Unca Joel>

Big snip

>* Water: at least a gallon for topping off after coolant leaks. Buy a > purpose-made bottle, or reuse a screw-top plastic gallon jug like > the ones that come for fruit juice.

Just a warning regarding this tip....I have been carrying 50/50 coolant mixture in a 1 gallon milk jug (cloudy plastic, but see through) under my rear bench seat. This past weekend I opened the sliding door to a flood of coolant :( My first reaction was that the heater core went south, but after closer inspection I realized the plastic jug had developed several hairline cracks. I would recommend using something a bit more sturdy, like the container the coolant came in or perhaps a lundry detergent bottle.

Patrick L. Larsen Water Center-University of Nebraska Home: http://www.uvm.edu/~plarsen/pat.html Work: http://www.ianr.unl.edu/waterscience/wsl.html ___________________________________________________