Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 1998 12:59:43 -0400
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Inline Exhaust Theory: part I
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Finally put the finishing touches on my new exhaust system for my 82 GTI powered Westfalia. Thanks to everyone who offered input, suggestions, ect.

The major problem I encountered was not being able to use the "Dasher" 4-2-1 manifold I had purchased for it last fall. The manifold was simply too tall to clear the left motor mount. After scouring through two "VW only" boneyards and looking at at least 50 pulled 4cyl cores, I think I've seen every exhaust manifold ever put on a inline VW. I'm sure I could of missed a few, but have come up with only two possibilities for use on a vanagon. The first was out of a 1.8L Golf with 10:1 compression (86 or later). This is the one with the round outlet that uses a donut shaped gasket and uses those stupid spring clips to hold the downpipe. This is also sometimes referred to as the dreaded stock manifold, I'll explain this later. The second was from an 81' Audi 4000. This was a 4-2-1 style manifold with the dual outlets. The shape of this manifold looked like it would fit perfectly in a vanagon, nicest dual outlet manifold I've seen (in Vanagon terms).

I choose the Golf manifold, against the recommendations of a few listmembers, but I have my reasons.... "The Dreaded Stock Exhaust Manifold is on your car. It's design is just about as bad as you can get... It is generally recognized that Volkswagen had a decent manifold but they 'improved the design' to accommodate the Lambda Sensor and screwed up the flow characteristics." - Parts Place

Autotech, Techtonics and most all others agree with this, and they are probably right. I've seen dyno test results that confirm it. However, the performance gains on the lower RPM range were modest at best. Maybe up to 2 HP from 1000 to 4500 RPM. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a HP scrooge, I'll take any little bit this engine will give me, but I question the reliability of these results. If these companies were claiming 6 to 8 HP on the lower end, then I may be inclined to follow their recommendations, but 1 or 2 HP is too close to zero to convince me that these tests were nothing but best case Dyno results, which while true and accurate, don't occur in most applications and testings. Companies have commercial interests in providing the best technical test data in evaluating their products, that's advertising and there's nothing wrong with it. And while these 4-2-1 headers and downpipes really help the engines breath at higher RPMs, they're just too close to zero in my range to make me bite. Plus, I can get that low RPM power back, if it's there at all. Read on.

Speaking of range, I think it's important to note this range issue. I figure my range with this engine is between 0 and 5000 RPM. I normally shift when I reach 4500 RPM or so. I sometimes leave it in second or third and wind it out a bit, reaching higher RPMs. While this isn't necessarily bad on these engines and they seem to like it, there are just reasons to keep your foot off it a bit. One of my major concerns is the higher RPM's effect on my 82' air-cooled Vanagon transmission. These trannys were NOT designed for the RPM range of the water-cooled inline engines. What's the redline for a 2.0L air-cooled? 4400? My GTI engine redlines at 6500, I think. Therefore, my engine might last all day at 6000, but I hate to think what that's doing to the transmission. Vanagon transmissions have never been considered to be that reliable and bulletproof anyway. Like barbecuing, "low and slow".

Another thing I questioned was the comment about VW "screwing up the flow characteristics". I happen to have a lot of confidence in VW engineering, so what could they have done to these stock manifolds that would have made them such lousy performers? (I'm not talking about high end here. A Bored out 4-2-1 or a tubular header will almost always help high RPM breathing.) In looking at my Golf manifold, the flow looked pretty good. Nice sized ports with gradual merges into a decent sized outlet. WAIT! What the heck is this thing blocking the outlet. The Oxygen sensor? Ahh, that might be what these companies are talking about. VW messed up the flow when they added the O2 sensor to American destined markets. The O2 sensor sticks down in the outlet and is about 1/2 by 3/4 of an inch in size. My understanding of exhaust flow theory tells me this is a bad idea, at all RPMS. Taking that bugger out and replacing it with a 5 buck plug might have just got me that extra couple HP or grunt that I was missing from those header dyno tests. The only way to confirm this is to do Dyno testing of my own, no way! I test my van on the highway.

End of part I

_______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/wow