Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 1998 14:51:03 -0700
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lowering Coolant Pressure for Headgaskets
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mark B. Magee wrote: > Running a cooler temp thermostat can work against you. Remember, the entire > Digifant system is reliant upon 195 deg F water temp for proper (ops normal) > feedback to the ECU. Anything lower than this and the ECU would try to > compensate by for instance changing ignition timing to achieve the desired or > anticipated O2 temp. > Now there should be some window of float that are acceptable to the ECU, I > don't know what those are, but I would be careful changing thermostat temp > ratings in any Electronic Fuel Injected engine, for it has a potential to > introduce a "feedback mechanism" of correction back to what the ECU knows to > be the norm. > Additionally, lowering coolant temps and pressures would have little bearing > on the head gasket issue. The issue is the corrosion, not pressure. And the > pressure comes from the other side in a failure, that is the combustion side. > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><

Yes, lower temperature definitely can work against you. But the change here is pretty minimal. The original thermostat opens at 87 degr. cels. or 188.6 degr.fahrenheit experimental thermostat opens at 80 degr. cels. or 176.0 degr.fahrenheit Those numbers are taken from the parts . cooling fan cut-in temp for 1st stage = 89 deg cels. or 192 degr.fahrenheit cooling fan cut-out temp 1st stage = 81 deg cels. or 178 degr.fahrenheit

the 80 deg.cels opening temp of the experimental thermo. matches the cooling fan cut-out temp. of 81 deg.cels. Those temperatures are all pretty close.

I am hoping the "Master Brain" doesn't notice the lower thermostat temp. I haven't noticed any change in driveability.

My reason for the change is longevity of all the plastic and rubber parts in the cooling system, or maybe just some leftover phobia from my air-cooled days. Harald '90 westy