Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 May 1998 11:53:53 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Tyre questions
Comments: To: Scooter061 <Scooter061@AOL.COM>,
          Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Scott,

I'll answer your questions based on experiences on both a '77 type 2 and an '84 Vanagon...

1) Don't light truck tires by their very nature produce more road noise? With a 5000 mile trip, I don't want to introduce any more

aggravation than the two teenagers, wife, cat and pomeranian......

1. No more noise than any other tyre IF one purchases a highway tread tyre. Typically, many truck tyres use a more aggressive tread pattern which is noisier. Shop around.

2) With the high pressure and rigidity of the truck tires, doesn't the ride comfort suffer?

2. Comfort is a relative term. If you want a Cadillac ride, put passenger car (load rate B) tyres on it. However, be aware that you MAY suffer unexpected tyre failure at any time. The tyres WILL be operating beyond their design load. Vanagons are HEAVY. If you want precise steering and lessened sensitivity to cross winds, A truck (load range C or D) tyre is required. I personally prefer steady handling to a floating sensation. If you look at the pressure requirements on the vehicle sticker, you'll see that the load range B tyre will not take the pressure. " Reinforced" tyres are an option, though they are very difficult to find.

3) Being consigned to retaining my 14 x 5.5 inch wheels, what is the best size light truck tire to use?

3. I run 27/8.50-14 highway pattern truck tyres on my '77 (ASI Riviera Campwagen) which weighs 4700 lbs. empty. These tyres are stocked by just about every tyre store around as they are typically used on Japanese mini trucks. On the Vanagon L I have been running 185-14 Reinforced radials manufactured by Kumho (Korean.) They are difficult to find and ALWAYS are special order. When it's time to "retyre" I'll put the 27/8.50-14s on the Vanagon too.

4) I am looking at the Goodyear Wrangle GS-As which are on sale at Sears right now....has anyone bought these? If so, how do you like 'em?

4. No comment on the Goodyear tyres. Many listmembers have had good comments about Yokohama tyres purchased from the Tire Rack. Search the archives for "Tire Rack" and you can read the comments yourself. This subject is discussed in depth about every six weeks or so. Been that way since the v@l days.

In summary, buy tyres with at least a load rating of "C" ("D" is even better.) You probably won't notice a difference in ride, but you will notice a difference in handling. (Unless of course you go with "B" rated tyres, lose one and ride it on it's side or roof.) ;)

You also MUST read the Inuvik Journals. http://www.chaco.com/inuvik/ The comments there about tyre use are invaluable. These comments are by people who have BTDT.

Best of luck.

Jim Arnott Union, OR '77 ASI Riviera II '83.5 Vanagon L