Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 1998 01:26:51 -0400
From:         "Joseph J. Liasse" <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Comments: To: Eric Schmedlin <elv15@ROCKETMAIL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Schmedlin <elv15@ROCKETMAIL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 00:20

>Hi all, > >I'm looking for an Icebox to fit my 82 Westy. My >fridge is broke and costs too much to fix($450!). >Maybe an earlier model westy Icebox will fit? The >maximum dimensions are: 16.75" wide, 26.25" tall, >14" deep. Also, maybe someone knows if I can get >such a thing at an RV store? > >Thanks Tons, > >Eric >82 Westy--"the money pit" :) > > > > > >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

If you are VERY CERTAIN that you are not going to fix the fridge and are going to despose of it why don't you use it as a base to make your own? All that is lacking is a place to put the ice, something easy to fake with the addition of some shelving up near the top to hold the ice. Room for additional insulation can be made by removing the metal casing on the outside of the fridge (effectively destroying any chance of repair, that is why you have to be certain you want to do it.). You can use foam or fiberglass for this. The finished product will look like H__L but will be covered up anyway. The plate where your controls are can be ignored or removed and blocked in to be used as a shelf for paper plates and the like. I cannot provide details byond this because I have not done it myself (mone still works) but I have talked with a man who did and he said it works fine (The beer he put in there yesterday was still cold) He had even picked up an ice holder that came from an old Coleman(?) standup cooler that fit right into slots in the top of the compartment where a shelf went when it was still a fridge. There is even a small spigot in front for ice water. All in all it was a pretty good setup. If I knew where I could get an ice holder like he had I would have been tempted to do it to mine. I have never been all that happy with the fridge I have (his beer was colder than mine). BTW: He ran the LP gas line that used to go to the fridge out the side of his van so he could tap into it and run a gas grill or lantern.