Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 1998 08:01:00 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Propane Tanks
Comments: To: Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:36 AM 5/21/98 -0400, Erik O wrote: >Lots of talk about propane tanks lately, I'll throw in my experiences to >pass along some information and maybe get some help myself. > >When I first tried to fill the tanks in the 82' , the auto stop valve >let it all leak back out. The jerk at the u-haul place told me to go >away because he shouldn't have been filling that tank anyway because he >couldn't find the inspection stamp. > >So I went to a real "propane and propane accessories" place. The guy >that helped me seemed to be really knowlegable. He said these tanks were >certified by the American Association of Mechanical Engineers (???) and >didn't have to be certified. That's correct. There is a cloverleaf with letters inside (AME, I think) inscribed on the certification plate. This means that the tank does not have to be periodically inspected like some other tanks.

>He then sold me a stop valve that screwed >on to the old leaking valve, thus doubling them up. He felt guilty >charging me $35 bucks for it, but he said they were kind of expensive, >being solid brass. Euro-American RV (formerly Delta 6) sells a rebuild kit for the original auto-stop valve.

>Last fall I developed a leak from the regulator. So now the tank comes >out, gets sandblasted, painted and put back together. Does anyone know >if you can rebuild these regulators. If you can't, I'm sure there is a >less expensive replacement than the stock part. No you generally can't rebuild the regulators because you can't find parts. Euro-American RV sells the original rectangular-shaped regulators. A cheaper alternative is to buy a Marshall double-stage regulator, sold at any RV supply store. Be sure to get the double stage regulator--it's safer than the single-stage model. You'll have to bend the copper lines a bit, but the Marshall will fit just fine. You can replace the regulator without removing the tank.

>Don't all dometics need the same amount of pressure? Almost all consumer propane accessories (including Westfalia and Winnebago stuff) run off a pressure of 11 inches of water.

-Mark