Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 1998 14:14:50 -0400
From:         Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM>
Subject:      back from west coast road trip
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hey all, Just got back from my road trip up the left coast. Flew into Orange County Intl. then "rental carred" it to San Diego, up to Santa Barbara, to San Luis Obispo (Apple Farm Trellis Ct. gets 4 stars for low $$, great room and great bkfst), then up to San Simean (that Hearst guy had too much cash and time on his hands), down and over to 101, as rt.1 north above San Simean was not expected to open until 5/22, took Carmel Valley Rd. G16 into Carmel Valley (from 101 to Carmel Valley this road is approx. 55 min. of pure fun.), back down to Big Sur (you could go south on rt 1 into Big Sur only), then up to Monterey (much thanks to Kevin Sullivan for the great tour of his work, The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, cool r/c subs and research ships), continued up to Santa Cruz (we were almost fooled into checking out the "mystery spot" but low cash reserves kept us pressing on), still up the coast to San Francisco (if you like B&B's and downtown living, stay at the Golden Gate Hotel on Bush st. btn Powell & Mason, 1/2 blk from cable car stop and 2 blks from chinatown), then up to the Mondave Winery in Napa Valley. From there we stayed with relatives in San Jose until our nonstop 10 p.m.- 4 a.m. jaunt down to Orange County Intl. for our rtn flight to Phila., Pa. Approximately 1200 mi. of fantastic driving in 6 days. Counted approx 80 VW vans, 50 of them Westies. Sorry about the long trip report, but I thought that someone might want to try it out. Give me a shout if anyone wants more detail and directions. One last thing...anybody ever experience rust inside of the fender up in the wheel well into the interior before? I looked at an '87 Westy Wolfy last night with much rust and wasps nest throughout.I only know of the typical exterior seam rust. Gregg '85 Westy (Conshohocken, Pa)