Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 1998 18:17:51 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Why does engine run cooler w/ heater on full-blast?
Comments: To: "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Kevin, some lessons I have learned about heaters.....(1) if the engine is running warm or hot turn on the heaters to full blast......it is like adding additional radiator cooling surface to your cooling system, and all things being equal, the temp should drop.(2) If you have the heaters turned on and get nothing but cold air.....watch the temp guage closely....maybe even shut it down.....you probably have split a a hose or something and lost some or all of your coolant. This happened to me in my Jeep Wagoneer once when I lived in Wasilla. Unknown to me a hose had split, and suddenly the temperature of the air coming out of the heater began to drop. A minute or so later the engine temp began to rise then started to fall. As soon as I lost enough coolant the temp guage was no longer in the coolant stream. The temp guage measures the temperature of the coolant, and when enough is lost, it has nothing to measure, so the guage will begine to do weird things. In this case, it first showed hot then started to show cooler....which was erroneous. Had I not been alert to the heater temp thing, I may have wrecked the engine. That sudden cold air from the heater combined with the funny acting temp guage was enough for me to shut it down, thus saving the day( and the engine.)

Normal operation of the heaters will cause the temp to rise and fall slightly and the heaters are turned on or off.

John Rodgers A Soldotna, Alaska person in Alabama driving an '85 GL and getting ready to go back north soon -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------