Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 1998 19:58:54 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Lights, lights, need more lights
Comments: To: Stephen Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET>,

On Wed, 20 May 1998 21:04:31 -0700 you said: >First off, I have an '85 westy. In the taillight housing, there is an extra >socket for another light bulb. It is the spot just under the backup light. >My idea was to use these sockets for rear fog lights like my porsche does. >So I take the lens off and see the socket isn't ready to accept a bulb- no >spring contact to hold the bulb in place or power it, but the "trace" on >the housing is there. Is there a wire from the housing up to the front >already in the wire harness? If so, where does it originate? Or will I have

no, i don't think so. the extra spot in the taillight is, i'm told, for Sweden and Denmark (maybe norway and finland, too?) and is a rear fog light ... extra running light. and, as far as i can tell, there's no wire in our harnesses. the connector, however, has a place for one! but since there is NO reflector inside the housing, there's no sense in trying to put the bulb holder/trace-thingie. :( i went through this a while back, and i couldn't find a way to put a reflector in there, without tearing the red/yellow plastic off the black housing. :( sure would be neat ... but the only way i can figure is to get the housings from overseas. and that ain't gonna be cheap.

>to run a wire myself? Also, there is no reflector in the lens, so I'd have >to come up with something there. Any ideas?

i got a stand-alone red rear fog light and mounted it on the bumper, between the left/driver taillight and the tag. works great ... truckers bitch at me on the cb, but they SEE me in the fog. :)

>have the mag in front of me) lights. They are 7" or so round, they look >black when they are off, but the article indicated that they worked very >well. Has anyone had any experience with these lights or know what they

not the black ones, but i've got the Hella Vision Plus 7" round headlights in my bus and camper ... and i LOVE them!! :) MUCH better light than the sealed beams from Wal-Mart and K-Mart. only problem is, they are $42 EACH. :( so figure about $90 for shipping and the two headlights. they use the H4 halogen bulbs (which come with the lights).

now, for the fog/driving lights, i'd stick with the non-black ones ... just because of price. i think the black ones are like twice the cost of the non-black ones. :(

on my 88 bus, i have 7" round fog lights and 7" round driving lights, from Cibie. i LOVE 'em, and would get them again, but Cibie isn't sold over here any more, so i guess i'll go with Hella Rallye 1000 or the Rally3 500. both in fog and driving. the Cibie's were $80 EACH back then, i'd hate to think what they'd be now. :( but they reach out to 9600 feet. :) the fogs are super ... they reach out almost as far as the normal headlights, and REALLY light up the sides of the road.

the order of things i'd suggest would be: - round 7" Hella Vision Plus headlight replacements. - then some fog lights. and it helps a LOT to put a clear fog light on the bumper, with a separate switch on the dash, to use as a backup light. you can actually SEE at night. why a separate switch? so i didn't have the fog light coming on when i back up in the daytime. i'd also recommend the red rear fog light (Hella Model 100) if you have a fair amount of fog in your area. - driving lights ... IF you have any straight 2-lane roads out in the boondocks. i put mine on back when i used to drive to texas to visit relatives. but they moved, so now i really have nowhere to use the driving lights. :(

joel