Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 May 1998 03:46:13 EDT
From:         Ssittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about EVs
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

I looked hard at buying a used Eurovan camper before I ended up with my '87 Westflia a few months ago. I was especially interested in finding a '93, because I figured they'd be significantly cheaper than the '95's. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about them, though - some dealers/others claimed there was no such thing as a '"'93 camper", and some said there was, and some said something in between. After talking to a number of people, the understanding I eventully came away with was this:

- Volkswagen sold a Westfalia Eurovan full camper conversion in '93, but not in the U.S. I think it was available in Canada, and perhaps a small number of them leaked into the U.S. However, they were apparently not actually legal to import (didn't meet some U.S. standard or other). - However, VW did sell a Westfalia Eurovan "Weekender" in '93 in the U.S. This had a pop-up top (with no side windows), a rear seat that folded into a bed, a table, and a 12V cooler behind the driver's seat. It had no stove or propane system, and I believe little or no cabinetry. It may be shorter than the Winnebago conversion - the Winnebago is built on an extended- length cargo van. - The first Winnebago conversions were in 1995. They used their own pop-up top - not the same as Westfalia's. Interestingly, I looked at the standard Eurovan manual included with a '97 Eurovan camper recently, and it included instructions on how to work the "optional" pop-up top, which appeared to be the Westfalia top. There was also a separate "Camper" manual, which among other things told how to work the somewhat different Winnebago pop-up top that was actually incuded on the van.

I won't guarantee all this is true, but it seemed to fit what I ran into. Every '"'93 camper" I ever saw advertised and called about turned out to actually be a Weekender. Salesmen typically couldn't tell the difference until it was pointed out to them. ("Does it have a stove?" "Sure, it's got a stove." "Are you positive?" "Absolutely - it's got a stove." "Would you mind going out and taking a look at it?" (wait, wait, wait) "Hey, what do you know, it's got no stove!")

-Steven Sittser