Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 May 1998 09:47:41 -0700
From:         Chris Uzzi <uzzi@AIMNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: ? Reno to Denver route ?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>And don't do this drive at night unless you have *really* good brakes & >long range driving lights - it's open range, & the road for some reason >attracts all the cattle you rarely see during the day: while the adult >cattle will just sit around watching you go by, sometimes their little >offspring get antsy & bolt across the road...and the wild horses are even >worse - they seem to come out of nowhere & will make a believer out of you >for having checked your brakes before you left. One (of several) >interesting sights at night, however, is the number of single lights you'll >see off in the mountains...we're talking 10-20 miles from where you are, on >the only paved road around.

this is no joke! my wife and i decided to take the "loneliest road in america (hwy 50)" on our trip back from denver to san jose. my wife had never driven a stick shift, let alone a westy, but after i had been driving for what seemed like days on end straight arrow two laned roads i decided it was time for her to learn. well, i was more stressed over it then her. she did fine. after about an hour or so it became dark and i was half asleep in the back and hardly heard her mention that we just passed a sight warning of "open range". i blew it off and told her to be a little extra careful and fell back asleep. next thing i know the van drops from about 65-70 to 15-20 in record time! i wake up on the floor, scratching my head cause last i remember i was o the bed! when i rise to my feet there was a heard of cattle (50-100) all around the road (none actually in the road, though). from there on, i drove while we both watched intently for open range animals for another several hours. by the way, to my wife's credit, she handled the whole situation very well. i'm a good driver, not a good passenger.

many other stories of this 3,500 mile road trip...

chris ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris & Aimee Uzzi '72 Westy (deceased) '90 Westy (Merlot) '98 A4 Quattro (on the way...) '91 CRX Si