Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 May 1998 14:45:29 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      1.9l Turbo Diesel, the swap is on!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Listees,

The dice are cast. My 1.9l Turbo Diesel engine is scheduled to arrive in a week or two. Then the 1.6 comes out, and the interesting task of how to fit the 1.9 in begins. This should not be difficult as engineswaps go, but after all the 1.9 is post-vanagon era, and there may be a lot of small details to take care of.

The engine comes directly form an import store house in CA, and neither I nor the importer I bought it from has seen it yet. I did get some pictures thought, and I'm trying to figure out what clutch is on there.

If you'd like to help me decipher whats on this picture I would be most grateful:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/users/jag/vw/engine/diesel1.9/Fly.jpg

So some kind of clutch and pressure plate is already mounted, but what kind? It's different form the other VW ones I've seen, In particular, how come the clutch disk (with the four springs) is exposed, and not covered by the pressure plate?

How does it release? Ie if I put in a standard release bearing it looks as if it would press on the clutch disk, and not on the pressure plate as it should.

Any clues as what I need to do to make this work with the diesel vanagon bellhousing/release mechanism?

Would it be better/easier to just bolt on my old diesel flywheel, clutch and pressure plate? (Well, I'll buy an new clutch for it, but the orig Vanagon style)

(More pics are on: http://www.cs.rochester.edu:80/u/jag/vw/engine/diesel1.9/diesel1.9.html

Thanks for any insights, Martin