Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 10:57:31 -0400
From:         thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Still frustrated with clutch problem (87 Westy Syncro)
Comments: To: Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Tom:

Thanks for your note.. needless to say I pour overe each and every reply looking for the silver bullet fix!!

My comments below:

At 07:08 AM 5/18/98 -0700, you wrote: >On Sun, 17 May 1998, thetrans wrote: > >> Recap: >> >> Clutch refuses to disengage when shifting. Seems to happen somewhat >> intermitantly, but almost guaranteed to happen at least once during any >> driving outing. [snip] > > >> [snip] came to a turn and went to >> downshift into third, and no clutch release.. had to coast to a stop, >> jiggle shift lever, pump clutch, etc..kicked back into gear. > > >Bill: > >If the clutch really didn't disengage, how did you coast to a stop, since >you should, at this point, be stuck in 4th?

Well maybe the term coast was innapropriate, roll to a slower speed may be better. I guess I probably wasn't stuck in gear, since the engine didn't stall when the clutch was released (as I jiggled the shift lever.. something I hate to admit I'm becomeing expert at!!). 4th was my last gear and I couldn't get the van into another gear w/o juggling and a small bit o grinding. After sitting and juggling, I can usually find a groove again and pop it into gear. Sometimes thats all it needs and I'll cycle again through the gears.. other times it may only last for a few 1000 feet.

>From your description, it >doesn't sound like a clutch problem, it sounds like a shifter mechanism >or tranny problem.

I agree on both culprits. I still need to better inspect the shifter rod linkages (I haven''t gotten under the front yet), and I may have a loose slave cylinder (moves a bit when the clutch pedal is pushed). Tranny.. hopefully not but maybe...

> >When you san "no clutch release" are you saying the clutch pedal wouldn't >depress, or are you saying that the pedal depressed OK, but you were >somehow "stuck" in 4th? If the latter, then start, first, by inspecting >the shifter mechanism.

I get what appears to be fine movement from the pedal. I get resistance, return, etc. Pedal depresses OK, but somewhere the translation to release clutch and/or shift gets lost. I guess whats confusing is that there are really two things going on here.. the clutch bucks a bit, almost always in first gear when starting up AFTER I have had the gear shift problem, which would seem to be a clutch pedal/master/slave problem, then there's the shifting problem. I can't see how the two may be related through one cause (maybe they're not!). Anyway, yet another long winded discussion. Thanks for your help & tipz!!

Bill

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Hunter/Garcia