Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 1998 00:18:07 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Left motor mount. (Diesel 1.9 TD Swap)
Comments: To: Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Martin Jagersand wrote:

> The left motor mount problem. > 4. Someone got the 1.6 Jetta TD in there by grinding down > the motor mount. Maybe this (with some reinforcement > on the other side) is doable. Mark or Craig, what's > the magnitude of the interference? > > /Martin

The degree of interference appears quite substantial. The waste gate hits the mount toward the narrow end just below the hole for the rubbber mount bolt. It may be just possible to grind away enough material to clear the waste gate without cutting the mount in two. Re-inforcing this area would be essential. I have been thinking about a couple of ways to do this but I don't yet have enough data to proceed.

So far I am considering three possible modification approaches.The first is to grind away and see how much material is left. Then weld support sections to the back and sides as needed. This method has the advantage of not changing the relationship of the mounting holes. The major unknowns include the suitability for welding of the original cast mount metal. The next idea is to grind the mount and then bolt a "u" shaped steel backing plate to the upper end(including the hole area). This also maintains the hole position but there may be a danger of weakening the mount by drilling holes to bolt the steel to the cast section. Finally, one could cut the end off completely, build a steel sleeve section, and slide it down over the remaining piece. I have doubts about the long term durability of all these solutions. This mount is directly below the leaned over engine. It appears to support much of the total weight. The all steel assembly from Winkler in Germany looks like the best bet so far. Depending on the delivered cost and time to acquire, it is what we want. Does anyone know how difficult these would be to obtain? We may consider an interim solution if the time delay is very long. Ultimately, a durable and maintainable answer is a must. Perhaps a pooling of efforts for a more local fabrication would benefit us. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark Drillock