Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 1998 11:29:29 -0700
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      back from syncroing, alternator, engine hesitation, wishlist
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello Volks,

I spent a couple of days with myself, my Syncro and mother nature. It involved intense backcountry travel, steep washouts, riverbed travel, bears, spending time inside big trees, etc. I had a good time. As I sat under the roots of a large cedar and was watching my surroundings I came up with my wisdom of the last day: "From inside a tree a slug travels with amazing speed."

Before I started the alternator light began to light up intermittently. Thanks for those little shops where people can actually fix things. I took out the alternator (while it was still hot) gave it to a local electric guy who put new brushes in and installed it in about 30 mins total for a cost of $15 Can. Done right in the parking lot, no problem.

During my trip I noted a bad transition between slow speed, idle and acceleration. This can be annoying when you are off the road and have to be careful with traction. After examination I finally found that the little CO test cap was missing. It probably has corroded away and I may have knocked it of with a stone or brush. So the computer got the wrong messages from the leak.

Two wishes came out of the trip: 1. I would like to be able adjust the computer while driving to change mixture etc. 2. I want to be able to adjust brake pressure from front to back, because it it sometimes really annoying when the front wheel do most of the braking on soft ground and on steep inclines. The parking brake is only a meager help.

Racecars have those options. Anyone got any ideas without spending a fortune?

cheers,

Björn

Björn Ratjen

1987 Syncro Est Alia (self camperized) 1995 Passat TD (1982 Vanagon Diesel) 1979 VW Bus (self- camperized)