Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 May 1998 13:29:10 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coming to Canada?
Comments: To: Larry Carter <lcarter@COWICHAN.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Larry, just an added note, since I am from Alaska and cross the border lots of times. Unless something has changed recently, sporting rifles and shotguns are permitted. I nearly always have one with me, and I leave it out right on top of my gear so customs folks can see it. I always declare it and have never had any trouble.

Handguns are another issue. If your destination is inside Canada, leave them at home, period!! If you are simply passing through Canada going somewhere else, have them shipped to your destination in accordance with the U.S. Federal Firearms Act. DO NOT try to bring them into Canada, whether you are just passing through, or going to stay for a while. You will encounter more kinds of grief than you would ever want to deal with.

Along those same lines, if you wind up going to Alaska, and purchase anything made of Ivory, ship your ivory home. Do not try to transport it through Canada. It will be confiscated at minimum, and you may have other grief as well. Sale of processed sea mammal ivory is legal there, so long as it is done by an Alaska Native, ie, Eskimo, Aleut, Indian, etc. under the Marine Mammal Act. Elephant ivory is illegal, and you have to watch out for the imported elephant ivory through the shops, because much tourism knicknacks found in gift shops comes from the Orient. Alaska has a program to identify Native carved sea mammal ivory. You can learn about that when you get there. Canada apparently does not recognize the Marine Mammal act as Alaska uses it, so ALL ivory becomes contraband, whether sea mammal ivory or elephant ivory.

So again, if you buy Alaska Native processed Ivory - whether white ivory or fossil ivory - ship it home. Don't attempt to go through Canada with it.

John Rodgers An Alaskan in Alabama getting ready to go home in his '85 GL