Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 May 1998 17:22:01 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! loud valve noise...
Comments: To: michael@HSDESIGN.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

A tapping lifter is no big deal if the sound goes away after the engine warms up a bit. Had your van been sitting for several days? Often the fluid will leak out of the lifter if the engine isn't run for a while. Like I said, no big deal unless the tapping doesn't eventually subside.

As far as getting the GUNK out, I don't know what to tell you.

-Mark McCulley

At 04:42 PM 5/24/98 -0500, michael@HSDESIGN.COM wrote: >Dear Volks, > >The story so far: > >I start my engine this morning and I hear for the first time the >unmistakable, loud "tap, tap, tap" of a valve, rocker or lifter. Drats! >I've been having overheating problems recently and I immediately thought >I had overheated my baby, causing all sorts of damage to her innards. >Checked the oil -- drats! 1/4 quart low. Now I am REALLY thinking of the >worst scenario -- rebuilt heads, or worse. > >On a lark I added another 1/2 quart -- noise still there: tap, tap, tap. >On another lark, I added a can of Gunk "Valve Medic" and voilá -- after >five minutes the noise is gone. So far so good! I checked the >compression and recorded reasonably good readings (for a 90k engine) >between 130 and 145 in all cylinders. Spark plugs look good too. So, now >I'm reasonably optimistic -- or am I fooling myself? > >Thus, dear listees, what do I do next? Did I cause this by running 1/4 >quart low of oil in combination with coolant overheating? or is this >just a random coincidnece? Should I leave the Gunk in for a while? >(Note: the can doesn't say to change the oil afterwards) or should I >change the oil ASAP? (I just changed it 45 days ago). Or worse, do I >really have to take her in and have 'em look it over? > >Waiting on pins and needles, I remain >Sincerely > >Michael J. Sullivan >