Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 1998 09:55:06 -0400
From:         bertschi <bertschi@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      diesel head identification
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

This is for all the diesel heads out there..... I have an '81 pick-up, (I know this is a vanagon list, but I used to own an '80, and I'm looking for my next one.....besides, I've found all vanagon people to be extremely helpful :) going on....my truck came with a running engine installed, (used from a rabbit sedan) and a basket full of original parts that were ready to be rebuilt. The head is rebuilt, assembled, and ready to bolt on. But I'm hesitant..... The head gasket on the truck engine is a 2-notch. (1600cc, right?) The head on the truck has the following casting identification marks....068 103 373 F (part number) MEXICO (country of origin) date code in 3 small circles vertcally, top to bottom are, (5), (3), (12), finally near #4 cyl there is 3ME 5. When the injector heat shields are removed, the seats are in good shape with a hole about 1/2" dia. The rebuilt head came with a 5-notch gasket. (1500cc??) The casting identifications are as follows...068103373 (part number) above the part number is 271, a round knobby as tall the letters, but 3mm thick, followed by WWO. Below and to the right of the part number is a letter H. (corresponding to the F in the other head?) and on the rotary date marker, the following numbers are in line with the arrow...15304. (I can't tell if it is a combo year/Julian date) The heat sink seats on it are on about 1/4" diameter when the heat shields are removed, and one is corroded above the glow plug. Bottom line if you're still here......can I use the rebuilt head on my truck? Are they interchangable? (no liability here, just looking for advice) Is there something else I should look at to determine this? Should I consider it w/ the corroded seat and smaller holes? Do the bigger holes give better fuel flow dispersion? I'm putting on a rebuilt pump and injectors, and I just thought why not use the rebuilt head now? Thanks for any help....enjoy your holiday (if you're able to get off work) and please take a moment to rememer the vets who made it possible for us to live in a society of choice. Dan bertschi@bright.net