Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 1998 14:27:08 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Transmission from 80-82 Aircooled Vanagon-reply
Comments: To: Jwilli941@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM
              May 1998 17:50:18 EDT)

Todd,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. In principle I agree. In an ideal situation I'd like to upgrade the whole powertrain to new or rebuilt since I'm swapping to a new engine. However, reality sometimes have other constraints. I'm already deep into my pockets with the new 1.9l TD engine, and right now a used tranny seems to be the sensible thing to do economically.

What I'd really want eventually (when I can afford it) is a 5speed with the 4.5 ratio final drive. I assume I can have that if I can just locate a 5speed diesel core (code 94), and put in the gas gearing. However no luck finding a 5 speed so far. Do you have any idea where to look, ands typical prices for 5 speeds?

I figure I may have to wait until I go to Europe (5 speeds are common there) and then try to get 100lbs or so of transmission past the air port check in and x-ray. (Could be an interesting experience. At least baggage allowance is 128lbs or so)

Another questions: Are there any 5sp with the early style shift linkage, or do I have to change to post 83 shift linkage if I want a 5 speed?

Thanks, MArtin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw ------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jwilli941 <Jwilli941@aol.com> Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 17:50:18 EDT Cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 for Windows 95 sub 76 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Length: 706

Martin,

FWIW here is my 2 cents:

You're going to spend a lot of time and money fitting a TDI into your Van so why would you want to risk installing a junkyard trans? The newest transaxle you can get is already 15 years old and who knows how many miles are on it? I'd strongly recommend a rebuilt, unless you enjoy yanking all the TDI stuff out just to swap gearboxes when the 'junker' trans doesn't work. Try Karl Bloss's guide for VW shops at:

www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops

Even if they can't help you they should know someone else in your area. If that doesn't work out then send me a p/mail and I can build one for you.

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles // VW dealer mechanic Olympia, WA