Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 1998 16:33:51 EDT
From:         SyncroHead <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air conditioning
Comments: To: MWhit80095@aol.com, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-05-25 06:11:52 EDT, MWhit80095@AOL.COM writes:

> Has anyone had the misfortune to lower the air conditioning houseing from > the back of a 87 vanagon. Anyone know how to put the A/C ducting back on the > roof ie reach the screws that hold the the ducting???that runs to the front. I`am > so glad I did this.......really I am......*#@*%~!**^&$

SOmetimes these ducts crack from weight & vibration.

This became such a problem that VW has issued a recall on the AC ducts to install (you guessed it) brackets! See your VW dealer and tell them that you want the recall done (at NO charge of course). I suspect that they might even supply new ducts for you if yours are severely damaged.

I had removed & reinstalled my ducts several times (adding wiring for gadgets of course) and realized the deficiency in the plastic & mounting methods VW choose for the A/C. I strengthened the mounting points where the screws penetrate the duct by adding fiberglass and then using a larger washer to spread the load over a greater area.

If you need to replair this area on your ducts, you can get a small fiberglass kit at most auto parts stores that comes complete with the fiberglass matt, resin, catalyst, and instructions. If you do this, also pick up some acetone to clean up with.

After beefing up my ducts (before they broke) VW announced it's recall of these ducts, acknowledging that an A/C duct falling on a driver could pose a bit of a safety concern. Their fix is to install brackets inside the duct where the duct mounts to the ceiling. These brackets basically act as VERY large washers distributing the weight of the ducts over about a 16 square inch area compared to the original washer area of about 1.5 square inches. Despite the fact that I had beefed mine up, I had VW do this recall in both of my vans for no charge.

The removal sequence to the ducts is to remove the side-to-side duct above the front windshield first. Removing this includes removing both the sun visors, since one of each pair of these screws also helps hold the duct up. Then work your way toward the back removing each piece in sequence. The base of the duct is never removed from the remainder of the duct, it's really a one piece factory assembly.

When reassembling, the installation sequence is just the reverse. The back of the rear front-to-back duct is held up by the evaporator housing and you install the pair of screws in the front of that duct section (where you haave access to them). Next you install the second section of front-to-back duct. The rear of this section is held up by the previous section and you install the two screws in the front of it where you have access. Don't press each section frimly against the previous section, leave a small gap (it'll be covered by the rubber strip) or you whole assemble will be too short to reach the front properly. You work forward untill installing the section over the windshield, this last piece is a 2 person job, someone holding while the other installs the screws.

There. It's as simple as that! Glad I could help.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg