Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 1998 14:30:49 -0700
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Vanagons and Diesel engines.
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The reason there are so many diesels in Europe:

I am not a diesel expert, but I have another view of the subject gained from experience. IMHO, the small vw diesel engines are great for driving around in Europe. The reason is the differences in speed limit laws on the autobahn. Trucks are limited to a speed limit of around only 90 km, or around 55 mph, as I recall. Trucks there have built-in speed recorders which are frequently checked by the police. When I travel in Europe with an efficient low-powered car, I just place myself in the right lane behind a slow-moving diesel truck and take it easy, while I'm saving tons of money on fuel. The right lane is like a sanctuary for slow-moving vehicles, while in the left lane, cars are whizzing by at easily 100 mph. Particulary when climbing the Alps, the traffic in the right lane slows down to 20 mph or less. Great for down-shifting in a diesel vanagon. Lots of fun. One can really enjoy the scenery that way.

Here in the U.S., it is an entirely different story. The trucks here go easily 75 mph long-distance in the slow lane. They constantly have to pass you, if you're only going 55 mph. It can be dangerous and irritating. Trying to keep up with the high-powered american semis with a vanagon diesel will probably over-tax the motor on the long distances here. I've been chased in my vanagon going up the grapevine (I-5 mountain pass) going into L.A. by semis going 75 mph in the slow lane.

IMHO vanagon diesels are great. The old 55 mph speed limit was more supportive for their use on the american highways. I guess we can always hope for another fuel shortage.

Harald '90 westy

Martin wrote: > This efficiency difference is the reason why for instance Diesel > Vanagons get 26-28mpg, while gas ones are limited to about 20mpg. > > So in summary, while Diesel vehicles get the shorter straw when > comparing hp, they are still excellent and economic vehicles for > most daily uses. The 1.6 Diesel Vanagon is as good around town > as any other van, but goes at best 65-70mph on the expressways > (and the engine is really more comfortable at 55mph). So if you > want to go faster you would be better off with a 1.6 TD or 1.9l. >