Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 May 1998 00:07:21 EDT
From:         Jwilli941 <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: 5-speed trans for an  80-82 Aircooled Vanagon-reply/1
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

<< In a message dated 98-05-25 14:27:46 EDT, Martin Jagersand wrote me:

<< What I'd really want eventually (when I can afford it) is a 5speed with the 4.5 ratio final drive. >>

Sounds like a 4.86 ring and pinion set with a .93 4th gear to me: 4.86 X .93= 4.52 final drive ratio.

<< I assume I can have that if I can just locate a 5speed diesel core (code 94), and put in the gas gearing. >>

You maybe confusing the hybrid gearbox that VW used for the '82 diesels with the gas versions? Those boxes were a strange combo of early 002 maincase and innards with a diesel only bellhousing on one end and the aircooled 091 nosecone sideshift on the other. I'm not sure what code 94 means but an 094 is a Wasserbox Syncro trans #.

<< However no luck finding a 5 speed so far. >>

Join the crowd.

<< Do you have any idea where to look, and typical price for 5 speeds?

Not really, they are very scarce. ALA everything inside is OK then they shouldn't be any more or less expensive to rebuild than a Wasserboxer. If you have some 5-speed only parts that have failed then expect to bend over the parts counter at the local VW dealership.

<<I figure I may have to wait until I go to Europe (5 speeds are common there) and then try to get 100lbs or so of transmission past the air port check in and x-ray.>>

What you could do is after you locate your treasure have a local VW shop strip it down to the 5-speed only components and transport them only. That way you can trim a lot of weight and know before you leave Europe that the ring and pinion set, etc., is good or not. The 4 speed aircooled versions are fairly common here and if you don't have a core to start with they generally range from $125-$175.

<< Another questions: Are there any 5sp with the early style shift linkage, or do I have to change to post 83 shift linkage if I want a 5 speed? >>

I'll be honest and state that I do not know if the 5-speed diesel linkage is the same or not. However, the post '83 watercooled 091 transaxles are a side shift but are completely different than the sideshifted aircooled. Those were shifted at the nosecone while the Wasserboxers where on the opposite side and up between the intermediate housing and the CV output flange. I've heard that Transform makes and adapter linkage from air to watercooled styles but I don't know anything about it and I also try to stay away from anything that complicates the stock arrangement. KISS are words to live by.

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles // VW dealer mechanic Olympia, WA

PS- Thanks for the bandwidth.