Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 May 1998 10:54:47 -0700
From:         coyote <coyote@LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      FW: FS '66 SO-44 Dormobile (Oregon)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Reply to Susan Crandall [mailto:cellair@earthlink.net], not me!

Coyote

-----Original Message----- From: Susan Crandall [mailto:cellair@earthlink.net] Sent: Monday, May 25, 1998 8:09 PM Subject: FS '66 SO-44 Dormobile (Oregon)

This is a multiple delivery message. If you can share the information somewhere else we'd appreciate it. It is already being posted to the type 2 and wet westie lists.

We are not getting out of busses we are just rearranging our stuff. We did not mean to sell this bus as it is our personalized vehicle that we collected parts for, for years. But we got offered something else and can't properly keep multiple daily drivers. (you never know where your stuff is to go camping ;) )

The bus is located in Drain Oregon about an hour south of Eugene. We routinely travel anywhere from Seattle to Northern CA. We would not hesitate to jump in this bus and drive it to Florida or Maine. This is our Primary camping vehicle. As it is currently outfitted it has driven to Homer Alaska and back as well as the interior of British Columbia with never a hitch.

It is not a natural S0-44 or a natural Dormobile. The bus is relatively rust free having lived its first life in Eastern WA a dry climate. It is still its original velvet green in good condition. No accidents No dents. It was originally a Sundial camper and has the lower opening crank out windows on the double doors and driver's side. They all have screens. When we got the bus we gutted it completely and installed the dormo top. (1993) The top operates fully and has its hardware and vents. The cloth on the beds has been replaced with canvas and can be removed for washing. There are no major tears or problems with the striped canvas, a couple of pin holes but we use "liquid vinyl" to fill them and on my blue Dormobile it lasted for 12 years before it finally cracked.

The interior is a complete S0-44 kit with the flip up kitchen unit and full width yellow vinyl interior and Z-bed. It has the upper rear 3 cubby storage unit and swivel table. Under the kitchen top are 3 cupboards. the center one has 3 shallow drawers and upright storage underneath. The left one has 3 shelves and the right one has 2 shelves with large plastic slide out storage drawers and lower area storage for pots and pans. (This cupboard is supposed to be the refer. The refer is included with the bus and to reinstall it just remove the shelves. We found that for extended trips a separate ice chest worked better and we could use the space.)

The floor is Tarkett vinyl a close imitation for original. The walls and side and door panels have all been insulated and are new wood. There are 2 12 volt extra cigarette lighter holes to use for accessories. (plus the one in the dash) the front seats are walk through and have been repadded and recovered. (There is an open storage space created by the back of the kitchen and the seat sides.) The headlights are H4 unsealed with a 115 watt fog/spot light.

NOS front and rear bumpers since we've had it. New tires 195/75/14 last summer. German wheel cylinders and new brake shoes in 1993. Original tranny. Has no problems at this time. (We believe the reduction boxes have been rebuilt but before our time) Odometer is 135,000. the bus sat for 6 years at a friends before we could persuade them to sell it to us. We have put approximately 35,000 miles on it and many many camp outs.

Motor: built by Tom Noble engines in Seattle in 1993 90.5 new case, counter weighted crank, dual brazilian solexes, dog house oil cooler, alternator, runs like a top.....

Trailer hitch. Front roof rack specifically built for this bus using an original Dormobile rack as a model by Paul McGill. Westy tent mounts for cabana style tent and small over the door tent. (Sorry no tent).

Non standard extras include a door mounted spice rack with fold up table on rear double door from a bubble era bus along with a two setting six inch light we mounted on the side of the hanging locker. Two standard side mount interior rectangle lights mounted left and right of Z bed. Flip up table on front double door. Complete curtains all around the bus including snap ons for the front out of red/black plaid heavy flannel.

Also a one of a kind collection of specialty stickers in the rear window ;).

Price: $7000.00

Susan and Rick Crandall 541-836-2244 vw@cellair.com fax: 541-836-7859