Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 May 1998 16:17:31 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Alignment Spreadsheet
Comments: To: malcolm.stebbins@MSVU.Ca
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 08:57 AM 5/22/98 -0400, you wrote: >Derek: I have started working on the material you sent to me. Some >observations: > >1) Page 44.2 does NOT say "syncro" anywhere on the page (as does >pages 44.3a and 44.5). Is page 44.2 for regular Vanagons???

You are right that 44.2 is just for regular vanagons. I included it simply to show that they have a chart for "half laden" vehicles. Note that they did not make up a half laden chart for us to use for our syncros but left that for us to calculate if we so desired, presumably.

>2) The table on page 44.2 is barely readable (especially any >'degree' or 'minute' markings) and will have to be checked carefully >(as will all the numbers etc.) The table on page 44.5 is more >readable. Do you have the originals of these pages???

Well, as we decided here, 44.2 is irrelevant because it is 2WD. If you send me a copy of what you have for 44.5 I will check it. Otherwise let me know and I will type in and email what I see on that page.

>3) I have typed the three pages into a word processor and it is >ready for (your?) proofreading before I go further.

Ok. Send me the pages by email or email attachment. Word.

>4) Regardig the chart on page 44.3a you mention somewhere (in haand >written coments) that the distance from the wheelwell to the axle is >465 mm on your van. I get about the same mesurement on my van. >Both are OFF! the scale. I wonder how many other Syncros are off >the scale too. IF! everyone is off the scale then the graph >(measurement) becomes moot. Would (my) doing a survey of list >syncros be of value here??

Incredibly, almost all syncros I have ever tested have been off the scale on this measurement (that is, that they are way heavier than VW seems to assume they might be.) This is the reason I have concluded that almost all syncros in North America should simply be set to the maximum setting according to this chart. And you will notice that my alignment specs that I have been giving out generally assume that the vehicle is at the maximum of this measurement. It also suggests that almost all of our vans are much more than "empty" and need to be considered "half-laden" or "quarter-laden" or whatever percent we decide.

>5) You have dome some alignment numbers for 30 and 33 % loaded. Is >the only affect of this 'loaded' %, its impact on the measurement >on 'a' on page 44.3a?? or is there some other important feature of >the 'loaded' percentage ?????

Actually, it should not affect the wheelwell measurement on 44.3a at all since you simply set 44.3a at the maximum and then apply their published range of error. (the plus or minus figure they give). The only affect of 33% or 30% loaded should apply to the figures on 44.5.

I see by looking at 44.5 that the affected measurements would be front caster and camber and rear camber and rear toe that depend on degree laden. Then I would calculate numbers which are XX% of the way from the "empty" specs to the "fully laden" specs. To determine the XX% we can figure that "fully laden" is 5,500 lbs. (Gross Vehicle Weight Limit) and that "empty" is somewhere between 3,641lbs and 3,950lbs (published specs for non-GL, non-Westy Syncros from German literature I have). One can find by testing that the typical Westfalia can weigh 4,500 lbs. at the local dump or metal wrecking yard or truck scale. Dan Houg measured his van in March of 1996 and it came out to 4,4420 whereas I tend to get higher measurements. Hence it apparently makes sense to set the alignment at about 30% of the way up from "empty" spec toward "full" spec. To be conservative, and set the van more like a mechanic would do without this information, one could select 25% as the proper percentage. On the other hand, the fact that the van is maxed out on the measurement on 44.3a suggests that we are seriously more heavy than "empty." Some people have said, "Oh, just set the van as though it is empty." This makes some sense to me, but does not seem to be intended by VW. VW specifically says to use partially laden specs--not empty specs--on those vehicles that have optional equipment installed that cannot be uninstalled for the purpose of the alignment. Any knowledgeable arguments from the peanut gallery on this one?

>6) what word-processor (and version) do you use? I can save as Word >Perfect or MS-Word.

Word

_____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486 (W) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (H)